Brief History of Bank of New Hampshire
Bank of New Hampshire is New Hampshire's largest independent bank and has grown to 21 offices state wide with more than $1 billion in assets since its inception in 1831. Because the bank is a mutual organization, it doesn't answer to stock holders and can focus on the success of its customers, communities and employees. Throughout its long history, the bank continues to be a strong, stable, financial organization.
“We are proud to be New Hampshire’s oldest and largest locally owned bank; success means more than what we see on our balance sheet. It’s what we see on the faces of those we serve every day. That’s been our mission for nearly two centuries and it continues to be our mission to this day,” said Mark Primeau, President and Chief Executive Officer of Bank of New Hampshire.
Bank of New Hampshire has played an integral part in New Hampshire's growth and has shown a strong commitment to the communities where their employees serve, live and work. The bank has a long history of providing financial support to non-profit agencies around the state including the Laconia Public Library, Lakes Region Childcare, the Bedford Public Library, the Children's Museum of Portsmouth, Concord VNA, American Red Cross, Avis Goodwin Community Health Center, New Hampshire Food Bank, New Hampshire Humane Society and many, many others. The bank strongly promotes volunteerism and last year bank employees volunteered more than 11,000 hours.
Bank of New Hampshire has prospered through the Civil War, the Great Depression, two World Wars and six Red Sox World Series Championships. Here is a time line of milestones the bank has reached in its long history in New Hampshire.
- 1831 Franklin Pierce signs the charter creating Meredith Bridge Savings Bank
- 1832 Receives its first deposit in the amount of $10.50
- 1869 Name changes from Meredith Bridge Savings Bank to Laconia Savings Bank
- 1891 Assets exceed $1 million dollars
- 1925 A new vault is constructed, complete with safe deposit boxes
- 1953 The interior of the bank undergoes a major renovation
- 1969 ATMs are introduced
- 1971 A new main office is constructed on Pleasant Street in Laconia
- 1994 First acquisition resulting in two additional offices
- 1996 First generation website is launched
- 1999 Nine new offices acquired from Fleet Bank
- 2000 Online Banking service introduced
- 2005 Historic French-Atwood barn in Bedford is restored and opened as 16th office
- 2006 Footprint expands to the seacoast region by opening a new office in Dover
- 2008 Mobile Banking introduced and acquisition of two new office locations; Antrim and Hillsborough
- 2009 State Street office in Concord relocates to a newly restored, historic North Main Street building
- 2011 Celebrates 180 year anniversary, named the New Hampshire Financial Business of the Year by NH Magazine and assets
exceed $1 billion dollars
- 2012 Two new offices open in Manchester and Rochester in newly constructed buildings
Name changes from Laconia Savings Bank to Bank of New Hampshire to better reflect who we have become